About Australian Hearing, Vision, and Dental Public Services.

The Home Care Package (HCP) is a subsidy provided by the Australian government to help older Australians stay happy and safe at home.

Therefore, many elderly people tell us that they are very happy to enjoy the HCP, which includes lots of care service items. However, some medical items such as replacement of dentures and hearing aids, which are commonly used by the elderly, are NOT covered by the HCP.

Does the government have any related subsidy or plans that can cover these items? Today we will cover this topic in this article.

Different body parts, different benefits

The Home Care Package (HCP) is a type of government subsidy for elderly care services. It is mostly focused on the home safety, care services, social contact, transportation needs, and some allied health services including physical therapy, traditional Chinese medicine treatment, podiatry treatment, and so on.

Whereas some other medical issues that the elderly are more concerned about, are covered by The Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) of Medicare.

When Medicare and other welfare allowances may not be fully covered, the Australian government also provides separate welfare plans for assistance with support of teeth, ears, and eyes for eligible seniors.

4-year-old children to 80-year-old elders may have the same dental problems.

A newborn baby to a 90-year-old grandfather, may have the same symptoms with their ear issues.

Therefore, the government classifies them according to different organs. There are specific allowances for teeth, specific allowances for ears, and the same for eyes.

Happy Living will introduce specific public service information for teeth, ears, and eyes.

Note: Victoria and NSW have different plans for teeth and eyes. However, the public ears service is national wide, regardless of states.


Public dental care services

Dental Health Services Victoria provides emergency and general dental care for adult concession cardholders through public dental clinics in community health centres.

Emergency dental care: Emergency situations may include pain, swelling or bleeding, and accidents involving damage to the mouth, teeth, or jaw.

General dental care: including routine check-ups, oral health advice, tartar and cleaning, tooth extractions, fillings, X-rays and root canal treatments.


Victorians, 18 years +, who are eligible for public dental care:

– Pension Concession Card holders

– Health Care Card holders

-Veteran Gold Card holders

-Veteran White Card and your treatment is for an accepted service-related condition

-All refugees and asylum seekers.

-All Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people


Cost for People aged 18 years or over:

The following fees are charged for people aged 18 years and over who hold a health care or pensioner concession card, or who are dependants of concession card holders:

  • $30 fee per visit, to a maximum of $120 for a general course of care (includes an examination and all general dental treatment)
  • $30 flat fee for an emergency course of care (includes assessment and treatment of the tooth, gum or denture that is causing pain)
  • $71.50 per denture, capped at $143 for full upper and lower dentures.

(The cost is very low. For example, for full dentures, own expenses are basically more than $10,000 AUD)


How to access a public dental services clinic?

  1. Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne (located near the University of Melbourne)
  2. https://www.dhsv.org.au/our-services/find-dental-clinics/clinic-search

Enter your postcode to find a list of public dental clinics nearby.


A dental emergency could be:

  • Swelling of the face, especially if it is hard to breathe.
  • Trauma to the face, especially if it is hard to breathe.
  • Bleeding from the mouth that will not stop.
  • An ulcer or sore in your mouth that has not healed for 2 weeks or more.
  • Severe mouth pain that keeps you awake.
  • Tooth fracture, an opening the tooth’s nerve.
  • Significant dental trauma for example your tooth has been knocked out.

In an emergency please call 000.

Or log on to www.dhsv.org.au to find for nearby public dental clinics.

The card holder eligibility and costs are the same as above.

Note: The public dental services in NSW, the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders are also eligible.

For senior citizens in NSW, please visit the following website:


Enter your postcode to find a list of public dental clinics nearby.


Public Eye Services

Eligibility criteria

  • Holder of a current health care card for at least six months.
  • Holders of a current pension concession card.
  • People from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
  • People from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds.
  • People experiencing financial disadvantage.
  • People living in public sector residential aged care, supported residential services, disability accommodation services, youth justice facilities and older person public housing.


Public eyes service include:

  • Comprehensive eye examination.
  • Assessment of vision, eye health and visual function.
  • Spectacles service.
  • Screening for eye diseases, including cataracts, glaucoma, and age-related macular degeneration.
  • Diabetic eye care.
  • Refer to appropriate practitioners, such as general practitioners or ophthalmologists, as needed for further care.


Contact number:

The Australian College of Optometry (ACO): (03) 9349 7455

ACO is a non-profit organisation in Melbourne CBD, southeast, north, and southwest. There are 9 branch clinics in total, please choose the nearest clinic.



Concession card holders can access the VES at a reduced cost. Contact the clinic before you attend if you would like more information about cost.

Elderly customers in NSW, please refer to the NSW Spectacles Program.

Eligibility for application also requires a health care card or a pension concession card.


Australian Governments Hearing Services Program (HSP)

Hearing Service

The hearing Program is nationwide and is called the Australian Government Hearing Services Program (HSP).


The hearing service plan can provide:

  • Buying hearing aids.
  • Hearing aid batteries, repairs.
  • Implantable Bone Conduction Devices (IBCD),
  • Further support and hearing services.


Eligibility criteria for Chinese elders:

  • Australian citizen or permanent resident, 26 years of age or older,
  • Pension concession card holders.
  • Receive sickness allowance from Centrelink.
  • Referred by the Disability Employment Services (Disability Management Services) Program

You may notice that the various government subsidies and plans are classified very carefully. The list of subsidies and supplement title alone has several pages. It takes a long time to understand all of them. Therefore, we will introduce a series of educational programs to cover the government subsidies commonly used by the Chinese elderly.

In addition, the Australian government also plans to integrate various subsidies to make it easier for everyone to apply and use.



Happy Living, as the HCP provider is recognised by the Australian government and will have up-to-date information. We welcome everyone to follow our radio programs, newspapers and online seminars.

Or please call 1300 911 728 (Mandarin, Cantonese, English) to learn more about the HCP program.